Lent 20 day 10

 On earth

This week Im praying for Suzy.  I dont know Suzy.  She is the partner of a non- christian friend of mine called Stephen.  He lives in England - havent seen him for a few years.  We keep in touch sporadically and talk about God stuff.  He is a scientist with a huge love for nature and is really conflicted about the earth having a Maker.  His scientific head tells him that its all evolution and science and hard fact.  His woodsman rambling, bat-watching, bird -loving heart tells him there is a purpose and a reason and a Creator.  We have had some great chats over the years.

A while before lockdown Stephen met the love of his life - Suzy.  Ive never met her and dont really know that much about her.  But right now she is very very ill and precariously hanging onto life thanks to machines and tubes and antibiotics and medical science.  Stephen messaged me a few weeks ago to tell me she was ill because he knows that I will pray.  And despite the fact that he doesnt believe in prayer and is deeply sceptical that God can or will do anything to help, he feels drawn to people who do believe.

On earth as it is in heaven    

We know that in heaven there will be no more death, no more tears, no more pain or sorrow or suffering.  So we can confidently pray for the sick knowing that God's will is life, health  wholeness and healing.   Often we pray and we see miracles.  Just last month our church ( and many others) were praying for a baby called Arlo.  He was born with his umbilical cord round his neck, and the cord had a knot in it.  He had breathed in meconium and his lungs werent working.  Doctors were not very optimistic that he would make it through his first few days.  We prayed.  He did.  I think he got home this week.  Doctors are saying his recovery with absolutely no discernible adverse effects ( clear brain scans and MRIs) is miraculous.  Hallelujah.

But a couple of years ago I spent the most amazing week of my life in a hospital chapel praying for a young man on life support - convinced God was going to heal him and He didnt.  

Just as I rejoice that God's will was to heal baby Arlo I also have to rejoice that God's will was to take my 23 yr old young friend to heaven.

I want so much to be able to say with certainty to Stephen that Suzy will be fine because people are praying.  I so much want a miracle of healing so that I can point to it and say ' there you go!  God is real, He loves you and has done the miracle you asked for so now you can believe in Him and give your life to Him!'  But the thing is...... well, you know what the thing is.  

'On earth' is tricky. We dont yet see ' on earth'  as much as we want to, yet we see just enough to make us hunger for more.  It has to be to do with us not with God.  He is not fickle and He doesnt tease or play with us.  But He does teach us - and I for one need and want to learn.  I want the faith that moves mountains.  The perseverance that keeps going until the desired result happens.  The wisdom to pray the right things and the love to make those prayers fully effective.   Im pretty sure you will want those things too.




Comments